Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts. They are the potent chemical compounds found in the bark, roots, seeds, and flowers of different plants and can be taken, distilled, and prepared in liquid form to bring potential benefits to people. They can be distilled through steam or water distillation where hot water or steam passes through the plants and pulls compounds away from the plant or cold pressing where the plant is mechanically squeezed and pressed to release the oils. Through these methods, the oils that emerge are much stronger and more potent than the plant they came from.
Once they've been distilled, these oils can be used in a wide range of products. They are especially common in the cosmetic and makeup industry. You may find essential oils in body washes, creams, and perfumes which gives them the added fragrances that make these products so popular. However, aside from being a popular addition to cosmetics, in recent years, essential oils have also been used by aromatherapists and natural medicine practitioners for their natural health benefits. Some aromatherapists believe that breathing in the vapor of certain oils allows them to enter the body and release some of those natural health compounds in the body. Different essential oils can be diffused to gain certain unique health benefits from stress relief to clearing congestion and beyond.
- Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular scents and it's known for its mood improvement properties, allowing for more restful sleep, and smoothing skin that's been damaged by the sun.
- Studies have shown that frankincense can be used to improve mood, help with sleep habits, and even help with inflammation. Some have noted its benefits in improving asthma and gum disease as well as long as it's diluted.
- Tea Tree Oil is often used as an antifungal, antiseptic, and antimicrobial. It can be used to treat acne if you don't dilute it and if do opt to dilute it can help with athlete's foot or ringworm. It's important to note that tea tree oil can potentially be neurotoxic and shouldn't be diffused around pets and small children.
- Peppermint can be used to help manage a wide variety of different ailments such as headaches, fatigue, digestion, gut spasms, and it can even lift your mood and improve memory. That's why peppermint is also a popular tea as many natural health practitioners recommend it!
- Lemongrass' strong citrus scent can be used to relieve stress and its links to anxiety and depression. It's also been found to remedy wounds by killing bacteria and fungus which means it works wonders in helping with athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm when applied topically. Keep in mind, if you plan to apply it topically, it should be diluted and mixed with a carrier oil to be used effectively.
- Eucalyptus oil is an especially popular option for people during cold season as it's helpful for soothing stuffy noses. Aside from that popular benefit, people often find it useful in relieving pain and fighting against the herpes virus. It's best used in aromatherapy, but if you opt to apply it topically it should be diluted and it should never be ingested as it could have dangerous side effects, especially in small children and pets.
- Orange is used commonly in cleaning products for your home. Not only is it an effective cleaner because it kills bacteria, but it smells great too which leaves your home feeling fresh! Diffusing it can help reduce pain and anxiety as well, but applying it topically should be done sparingly as it can make your skin sensitive to the sun's rays.
- Aside from being a delicious seasoning for your food, rosemary has noted health benefits too! Some people have found that it helps reduce pain and stress, reduces joint inflammation, and improves brain function. It's a great option for aromatherapy use or topical application, but if you're pregnant or have epilepsy talk to a healthcare professional first as it could lead to an adverse reaction.
Bergamot is commonly found in teas like Earl Grey and has been found to help lower blood pressure, lift your mood, and reduce anxiety. You can diffuse it or apply it topically, but, similar to orange, it could make your skin sensitive to the sun if applied this way.
- Cedarwood is a popular ingredient in many perfumes and colognes and other cosmetics because of its woodsy scent. This woodsy scent is great as aromatherapy too as a way to help reduce anxiety and create a better sleep pattern.
While they do come with great health benefits, it's important to use them sparingly and appropriately. They should only be used in small amounts and should always be diluted, especially if you plan to roll the oils onto your skin to be absorbed as opposed to aromatherapy. Before using, always consult your label as some scents can be toxic to animals
You should always consult a healthcare professional before using essential oils if you are pregnant, nursing, or have a medical condition.
- What are Essential Oils? A Complete Guide to Aromatherapy and its Potential Health Benefits -Essential oils are potent and fragrant plant extracts found in cleaners, lotions, and even therapies to help manage illnesses.
- Aromatherapy - Aromas go to the most primitive parts of the brain and affect us more than we think as it gets stored in our nervous systems so we associate certain scents with comfort and others with fear.
- Essential Oils - Essential oils are achieved by distilling plants into concentrated liquids that smell and taste the same as their source.
- How to Choose and Use Essential Oils - Certain essential oils can be useful as long as you choose wisely and use them safely. Here's how to use them correctly.
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oils: A Map of the Evidence (PDF) - This detailed guide provides information about how aromatherapy and essential oils can be used and how they work in the body.
- How Do I Choose and Use Essential Oils? - Essential oils can be applied to the skin, inhaled, or ingested. Each method of use depends on the desired effect and the type of essential oil selected.
- Well-Known Health Benefits of Essential Oils - Different essential oils offer different health benefits and you can even blend your own or buy premade blends to help while you're sick.
- How and Why to Use Essential Oils - Aromatherapy is a practice that started back in ancient Egypt when they burned aromatic woods, herbs, and spices. Today, essential oils are a huge global business.
- The Safe use of Essential Oils - The pleasant smells from essential oils can be incredibly therapeutic for the mind and body when used respectfully.
- Diffusing Essential Oils: How and Why it's Done - Depending on the scent you choose, it's possible to reap specific wellness benefits like lessening depression and anxiety and improving mood.
- Aromatherapy for Arthritis Relief - Aromatherapy can be beneficial for arthritis pain, relaxation, a good night's sleep, and even your overall health and well-being.
- Essential Oils and Aromatherapy Regulations - The FDA has compiled information about aromatherapy and essential oils so you know how they're intended to be used, what the difference between natural and organic means, and how it is regulated.
- Aromatherapy: Essential Oils - Essential oils and aromatherapy can be used to create a healthy environment. This page explains how it can be done safely so you reap the benefits without exposing injuring yourself or others.
- Essential Oils Around Pets - If you have pets and want to use essential oils, you should use caution. Concentrated oils can be a danger to pets and even through aromatherapy, some scents are toxic to animals. That doesn't mean you can't use them, always check with a vet before using a new scent.
- Do Essential Oils Really Work? - These plant-based concentrated oils can have a positive impact on health and well-being if they are used safely. Aromatherapy is a safe way to use these oils!
- Alternative Therapy: Aromatherapy - Aromatherapy can be used to help with some of the side effects of cancer treatments in some patients. This guide explains how certain scents can be beneficial to cancer patients and how they can be used effectively.
- What are Essential Oils? - Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy as a form of alternative medicine since they come from natural sources that support health and well-being.
- Aromatherapy 101: Nourishment From Nature - This guide explains the different nourishment children and babies can get from essential oils and how to dilute them for safety.
- Essential Oils for Seasonal Allergies - Allergens trigger symptoms in the ears, nose, throat, and sinuses which make essential oils and aromatherapy an ideal way to deal with seasonal allergies.
- The Essential Truths About Essential Oils - Natural doesn't mean safe and used incorrectly, essential oils can put people at an increased risk for toxic exposures and serious side effects to the nervous system. It's important to understand the side effects and how to use them correctly.
- Safety Information - There are many factors that influence how essential oils can be used safely. This page discusses how to safely use them and what potential reactions can arise if used incorrectly.
- Essential Oil Benefits and How to Use Them - Different oils have different benefits if you use them correctly. Here are 11 different oils and how best to utilize them to improve health and mood.
- Essential Oils for Calm - While there's no scientific evidence essential oils can directly help with calming, some people have found them to be useful in reducing occasional stress symptoms.
- The Definition of Essential Oils - Learn about how essential oils are stored in the plant and the purpose of these aromas in plants.
- Your Essential Guide to Essential Oils - Essential oils have become incredibly popular in recent years, especially for those in the world of holistic health and wellness. This article discusses why they've become so popular and how they can be used safely in everyday life.
- Essential Oils for Stress Relief - Some essential oils can be used to lessen stress alongside other mind and body techniques like meditation.
- Eucalyptus Oil Benefits - Eucalyptus oil is said to have plenty of health benefits like lessening brain fog and detoxing the air in your home. Nothing has been proven, but many people have noted some of the helpful benefits they've experienced while using it.
- Where to Apply Essential Oils on the Body - Not everybody uses essential oils for aromatherapy, it can also be used topically as long as it's used carefully in the right places.
- Essential Oils: Poisonous When Misused - Poison control notes how when misused, essential oils can cause serious poisoning.
- Unlocking the Power of Essential Oils - Essential oils are considered "nutraceutical" products that combine the words "nutrient" and "pharmaceutical" to describe natural substances that aid in health.