Bruce Lee, Winnie the Pooh, and Mahatma Gandhi each gave eloquent advice about dealing with mild stress but perhaps Lily Tomlin said it best, “For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.”
Heck yes, Lily! There’s a bit more to it, but the spirit is spot-on.
Taking care of daily stress is paramount for your general well being. Falling out of balance can make a person feel downright unhappy or less effective. On top of that, we lose that sense of connectedness to our minds and bodies.
Thankfully, there are natural ways to address everyday stresses and change your response to them. We’re not talking about a pitcher of margaritas. There is no magic bullet. We’re talking about elevating your routine, diet, and supplements, which we’ll discuss in a moment.
Know Your Stress Signals
Everyone experiences stress and mild anxiety in unique ways. Some people may be moody, sad, and angry while others may experience sleepiness, muscle soreness, headaches, even hair loss.
Your gut could also be sending you signals. The gut contains the “second brain,” known as the enteric nervous system. The enteric nervous system has over 100 million neurons! That’s more than the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system. It also uses more than 30 neurotransmitters and has 95% of the body’s serotonin, a chemical that balances mood. The gut informs the brain and vice versa. Also, unbalanced gut flora can cause feelings of mild anxiety.
Naturally, you can do something about it
When you’re overwhelmed, combating occasional mild stresses might feel like pushing a 700 lb greased gorilla up a mountain. A sensible approach is to try one hack at a time. Build upon success and keep moving forward, replacing bad habits with new, restorative ones.
- Rethink Your Comfort Foods With A Nourishing Diet
Give your body fuel packed with essential vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, electrolytes, antioxidants, and amino acids to help your brain and body handle stress better:
- Fermented foods: Besides supplementing with a reliable probiotic, you can also ingest probiotic-rich foods that contribute to beneficial gut bacteria. Try unsweetened kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi, and raw cheese.
- Antioxidants: They reduce the effects of free radicals, also called oxidative damage/stress. Try blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, Goji berries, pecans, artichokes, garlic, green tea, apples, kidney beans, and dark chocolate (Yay!).
- Healthy Fats and Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Wild-caught Salmon, grass-fed beef, nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconut oil. Also, you could add a high-quality fish or krill oil supplement to your diet.
- Minerals and electrolytes like Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc: These help you to sleep better and relax your muscles. Foods include beans, seeds, wild-caught salmon, oysters, avocados, nuts, unsweetened yogurt, leaf, dark leafy greens, and bananas.
- Avoid sugar, gluten, and processed foods as much as possible.
- Adding A High-Quality Hemp Oil Extract To Your Supplement Routine
The body has a vital and vast receptor system called the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). The Endocannabinoid System is possibly the most valuable biological system in maintaining human health and function. The ECS contains cannabinoid receptors. There are two main types of receptors, cannabinoid 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid 2 (CB2).
While our body creates compounds called endocannabinoids, hemp produces phytocannabinoids that stimulate our receptors. Although the ECS affects a huge range of physiological processes, scientists believe that its true purpose is to help the body establish and maintain good health. Charlotte’s Web contains full-spectrum phytocannabinoids, the major one being non-psychoactive, non-addictive cannabidiol (CBD). These phytocannabinoids naturally fit in the ECS’s receptors and help establish and maintain good health. Many can be found in areas of the brain that control mood, behavior, stress, sleep, fear, and irritability.
- Hemp Extract Oil 7mg CBD/1mL: Contains Charlotte’s Web Proprietary Hemp as well as naturally occurring antioxidants and neuroprotectants. When buying hemp oil extract, consistency and quality are key to success. CW is manufactured in an FDA registered facility, and 3rd party GMP verified for the best quality.
- Hemp Capsules 17mg CBD/1mL: This is a stress-saver on the go! These capsules contain Charlotte’s Web superior full-spectrum cannabinoids and added MCT coconut oil.
It seems like everyone’s meditating lately and for a good reason. Plenty of studies show that it reduces mild stress, helps you sleep better, and promotes creative thinking and higher energy levels. The toughest thing about meditation is finding the time. That’s where technology can help. Our favorite meditation apps::
- Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by 10% Happier: Respected journalist Dan Harris created this simple app that includes some of the best meditation experts on the planet.
- Headspace: A mix of Andy Puddicombe’s soothing, friendly British voice with his vital life lessons. They call it “a gym membership for the mind.”
- Calm: This is like a personal sound machine for blocking out the external commotion.
- Do Something Good For Someone Else
This tip is pretty simple. The act of giving can stimulate neurotransmitters connected to feelings of positivity, strength, and decreases the sense of worry. Altruism helps us to look inwardly and gives a positive perspective around the things in life that are causing us stress. By focusing on others in need, we can underline our sense of gratitude for a good life!